You have decided to have your breasts augmented, but there are still plenty of details to consider to achieve the aesthetic appearance you desire. The size and type of implants you choose, the type of procedure you receive and how it’s performed will affect the outcome of your procedure. Furthermore, new breast augmentation techniques have given women more options than ever when it comes to enhancing the size and shape of their breasts. If you’re unsure whether traditional implants or a newer procedure such as a fat transfer is best for you, understanding the pros and cons of each technique and how they differ can help.
Breast implants are a popular choice for breast augmentation procedures due to their versatility, reliability and customized results. Implant size and type, placement, and incision location give Dr. Patel unparalleled control and flexibility in creating the most pleasing aesthetic for each individual patient. For breast increases greater than a cup size, breast implants tend to provide more consistent and reliable results. Breast implants not only increase bust size, but they can also reshape the breasts to create a well-rounded, beautiful silhouette. Advantages to breast implants include:
- More versatility than other techniques
- Implants provide additional breast volume and fullness
- Variety of options make implants ideal for most patients regardless of body type
- Recommended for a greater degree of augmentation
- Results are reliable and consistent
- Implants create a well-rounded, pleasing contour
- Decades of research and experience make the use of implants well understood
Over the years, Dr. Patel has perfected and honed his technique to provide patients with natural-looking results and increasingly short recovery periods. At New Reflections, you will be able to quickly return to your daily routine with minimal discomfort and downtime.
Compared to breast implants, fat grafting is a relatively new technique for breast augmentation. A fat transfer procedure involves grafting surplus fat from your own body and depositing it in the breasts to naturally enhance your bust size. This technique uses your own tissues, but the procedure has a number of drawbacks compared to traditional implants. Since fat transfer breast augmentations aren’t as well understood as procedures that use implants, it’s important for patients to understand the drawbacks and risks of this technique.
- Size increase is limited — The biggest disadvantage of a fat transfer is the limitation in terms of size increase. Fat transfers cannot provide a high degree of augmentation and are often used for those seeking a modest increase in breast size.
- Restricted by body type — The procedure is also not ideal for slim patients without much fat to harvest.
- Less predictable results — Since fat transfers are not widely used for breast augmentation procedures, there are also some concerns about longevity; grafted fat may decrease in volume, making predictable results more difficult to achieve. Additional surgeries for touch-ups may also be required.
- Less versatility — Restrictions on size increases and other limitations mean that fat transfers do little to reshape or lift the breasts.
For patients that would benefit from a fat transfer augmentation, there are some advantages, too. A fat transfer also produces very little scarring. Although only a moderate amount of fat is removed for this procedure, many women are drawn to the prospect of slimming down problem areas while enhancing the appearance and beauty of their breasts.
How do the Results Differ?
Although both procedures augment the appearance of your breasts, whether you choose to use breast implants or a fat transfer will affect your results and aesthetic appearance. Breast implants provide surgeons with more control and versatility, allowing a variety of breast shapes and contours to be achieved. Implants can greatly improve the size and symmetry of your breasts but may result in more scarring than a fat transfer. At New Reflections, Dr. Patel will take great care to ensure that incision visibility is low and minimize the risk of scarring after your procedure. Although each patient is different, the majority of scars left behind after a breast augmentation will gradually fade and blend in with your natural skin tone. In contrast, a fat transfer uses injections to increase volume and leaves behind virtually no marks on the breasts.
Barring any complications, the shape and size of breast implants are stable and won’t change over time. This makes your results consistent, reliable and long-lasting. With a fat transfer breast augmentation, your body will naturally reabsorb some of the grafted fat. Although Dr. Patel will perform your surgery with skill and precision, it’s difficult to predict the degree to which this will occur. Consequently, the results are less reliable than procedures that use implants. The results of a fat transfer are also dynamic and will adapt to changes in your body weight — grafted fat still responds to weight gain and loss. This can be desirable for some patients, and less so for others. Some patients feel this maintains natural-looking proportions and a pleasing aesthetic balance, while others prefer the stability of implants. Many women also report that the results of a fat transfer feel soft and natural, although many implants mimic breast tissue and provide similar results.
How do I Know Which Procedure to Choose?
Dr. Patel can help you determine whether breast implants or a fat transfer will produce your desired outcome during your consultation. There are a few guidelines you can follow to help determine which procedure may be right for you, however. Breast implants are likely the right choice if:
- You desire a size increase of more than one cup
- You want full, voluminous results and more cleavage
- You have a small amount of existing body fat
- Versatility and predictable results are important to you
For patients who are considering a fat transfer, this technique may be the right choice if:
- You only desire a modest increase in breast size
- You want to slim down trouble areas at the same time
- You don’t require significant breast lift or shaping
- You want to avoid the use of breast implants
Regardless of your decision, Dr. Patel can help you achieve beautiful, natural-looking results. If you’re ready to discuss your goals and find out more about the options available to you, schedule a consultation with board-certified cosmetic surgeon Dr. Patel today by contacting or calling New Reflections Plastic Surgery in Freehold, New Jersey at 732-354-3792!