You don’t have to deal with daily shaving, pain from ingrown hair infections, and discomfort during waxing treatments anymore! Laser hair removal at New Reflections Plastic Surgery offers permanent hair reduction through a series of treatment sessions. We aim to relieve you of the annoyances that come with past hair removal methods.
How Does it Work?
Simply stated: Laser light pulses target the hair follicle, disabling it from growing hair again. This procedure only works on hair during the growth phase of the follicle, meaning several sessions will be repeated to ensure we address all of the follicles in the treatment area once they’ve all left their resting and transitional phases. Multiple treatment sessions allow Dr. Patel the best possible, widespread results of every follicle in active growth.
Dr. Patel uses IPL treatments for hair removal here at New Reflections, which makes it easier to customize for each individual. IPL targets the dark pigments of hair follicles, which is why it works best on brown to black hair with lighter skin tones. We have options for changing the laser’s frequency to work with any skin type and color, as long as the hair isn’t grey or red. The laser also works best where hair is shaved but not waxed in the areas where removal and reduction are desired for the laser to target just the follicle pores.
Why Should You Consider Laser Hair Removal?
We have already mentioned some of the adverse effects of many current hair removal methods. But there are several more reasons why someone might consider getting laser hair removal:
- To save time: Shaving, waxing, and plucking hair can be time-consuming, especially for people with a lot of body hair. Laser hair removal is known for significantly reducing the amount of hair in the treated area, saving time on hair removal in the long run.
- To reduce irritation: Some people experience irritation or other adverse reactions to traditional hair removal methods, such as redness, bumps, or ingrown hair. Laser hair removal can be a gentler alternative for people with sensitive skin.
- To achieve a smoother appearance: Laser hair removal can result in smoother, softer skin in the treated area. This can be especially appealing for people with thick, coarse hair or prone to ingrown hair.
- To reduce the risk of infection: Traditional hair removal methods, such as shaving or waxing, can increase the risk of nicking or cutting the skin, which leads to infection. Laser hair removal does not involve cutting or removing the hair from the root, so the risk of infection is lower.
- To achieve a more permanent result: Laser hair can significantly reduce the amount of hair in the treated area, which may be a long-term solution for some people.
What Areas Do Laser Hair Removal Treat?
Anywhere hair grows is an option for IPL hair removal. The laser works on many areas of the face and body where you find dark strands.
Some of the most popular options include:
- Forehead, cheeks and upper lip
- Hairline and sideburns
- Arms and armpits
- Chest and back
- Bikini line
- Knuckles on hands or feet
What’s the Treatment Like?
Once you’re comfortable and relaxed in our treatment room, Dr. Patel moves the IPL handheld device across the treatment areas, delivering the laser energy light pulses into hair follicles. We can apply numbing cream before your session to reduce any pain. Patients describe the sensation as similar to a rubber band snapping against the skin. The feeling is quick, and there is little or no discomfort once the procedure is over.
Post-treatment, you can resume your daily activities right away. Your skin may be slightly tender and flushed for a day or two in the treated areas, similar to how it feels when you have a sunburn, but we apply creams to help alleviate any soreness or discomfort. You can continue with the creams for a day or two, and avoiding the sun is recommended.
Is Laser Hair Removal Right For Me?
Most people with unwanted body hair are good candidates for laser removal, regardless of gender. However, the procedure may be more effective for some people than others, depending on certain factors:
- Hair color: Laser hair removal works best on dark, coarse hair. People with blond, red, or gray hair may not see as good results because the laser is attracted to the pigment (melanin) in the hair.
- Skin color: Laser hair removal is generally the safest and most effective for people with light skin and dark hair. This is because the laser is attracted to the pigment (melanin) in the hair, and there is less risk of damaging the surrounding skin. People with darker skin may also be candidates for laser hair removal since Dr. Patel will select a safe and effective laser frequency for darker skin tones with his IPL device.
- Hair type: Laser hair removal is most effective for people with thick, coarse hair. People with thin, fine hair may not see good results.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions, such as certain skin disorders or medications, can make laser hair removal less effective or increase the risk of complications. It is essential to discuss any medical conditions with a healthcare provider before considering laser hair removal.
What Results Can I Expect?
You will start to see positive results within days after your first procedure. Hair will begin to shed from the treated follicles, and it will be difficult for replacement hair to grow in. Most patients see full results after four to six treatments, spaced about four to six weeks apart. An occasional touch-up procedure should be sufficient for maintaining your smoother look.
You will see significant, long-lasting hair reduction regardless of the area you have treated. If hair grows back in the treatment area is usually lighter and finer than your original hair, making it less noticeable overall. In addition, this procedure eliminates skin irritation and painful ingrown hairs that often occur with razors and waxing.
Contact Us To Get Started with IPL Hair Removal in New Jersey
Dr. Patel prefers IPL treatments to other types of laser hair removal because the procedure tends to be quicker and covers larger treatment areas more effectively. You can see positive results on darker skin tones with the proper settings and treatment plan. To learn more about IPL hair removal and schedule your consultation, contact Dr. Patel at New Reflections Plastic Surgery today at 732-354-3792.
Does laser hair removal hurt?
Laser hair removal is generally considered to be a relatively painless procedure. Many people report feeling a slight sting or tingling sensation during the treatment, which is usually well tolerated. Some people describe the feeling as similar to the snap of a rubber band against the skin. This sensation can vary depending on the skin’s sensitivity and the location of the hair being treated. Treatments on areas with thin skin, such as the upper lip or bikini line, may be more sensitive than treatments on areas with thicker skin, such as the legs or back. In most cases, patients can tolerate the procedure without anesthesia or numbing medicine. However, a topical numbing cream can be offered before treating sensitive areas like the bikini line if your comfort level concerns you.
How many sessions will be needed?
The number of laser hair removal sessions required to achieve the desired results can vary depending on several factors, including the hair’s thickness and color, the skin’s sensitivity, and the location of the hair being treated. In general, most people require at least six to eight treatments to achieve significant hair reduction. The interval between treatments is usually four to six weeks, allowing the hair to enter the active growth phase and the damaged follicles to be eliminated. It is important to follow the treatment schedule recommended by Dr. Patel to ensure the best possible results.
What if my hair is lighter?
Laser hair removal typically works best on patients with fair skin and darker hair colors since the contrast between the two makes it easier for the laser energy to be delivered directly into the follicle. However, Dr. Patel can adjust the light setting to address darker skin tones with just a few additional treatment sessions. The device does not work on hair that is white, grey or red.
How long does each session take?
Laser hair removal takes just a few minutes for smaller locations like the upper lip or about half an hour for larger areas like the back or chest. Legs and bikini areas can take longer.
How many areas can be done at the same time?
The number of areas that can be treated simultaneously during a laser hair removal session depends on the size of the areas and how long it takes to complete each section. In general, it is common for the provider to treat one small area, such as the upper lip, or a few medium-sized areas, such as the underarms, in a single session. Taking a break and resting your skin during sessions for larger areas is a good idea.
Are the results really permanent?
Laser hair removal is generally considered a permanent hair reduction method, meaning it can significantly reduce the amount of hair in the treated area. Still, it may not completely eliminate all hair growth. Even after a series of laser hair removal treatments, some hair may still regrow. This regrowth is typically finer and lighter in color than the original hair and may be slower to appear. Maintenance treatments may be necessary to keep the treated area smooth and hair-free, especially for people prone to rapid hair growth. It is also important to follow Dr. Patel’s instructions about protecting the treated skin from the sun to maintain the best possible results.