For women who desire to renew their private areas after childbirth, significant weight loss, aging or injury to genital structures, vaginal rejuvenation offers increases in comfort and self-confidence.
Vaginal rejuvenation is a Vaginoplasty (“tightening” of the vagina) and/or Vulvoplasty (reshaping of the vulva, including the Labia, the outer and inner lips of the vagina). In recent years, it has become an increasingly popular option for women, especially here at New Reflections, where Dr. Patel is known as an expert.
Why Get a Vaginal Rejuvenation?
You may choose to consider surgery if:
- The contours of your vaginal structures have altered and stretched over time
- You experience soreness or pain with sexual activity, bicycle riding or horseback riding
- The effects of multiple vaginal deliveries have led to reduced sensation during intercourse
- You’re unhappy with the general appearance
- You have discomfort related to the shape or size of your lips, clitoris or mons pubis
Not sure which one is for you? Maybe it’s both. We’ll discuss both types, internal vaginal rejuvenation, which refers to procedures performed inside the vagina and external vaginal rejuvenation, which refers to procedures performed on the external genitalia (vulva).
Internal Vaginal Rejuvenation
Internal vaginal rejuvenation procedures are treatments to tighten the vaginal canal. Relaxation of the vaginal muscles, also known as vaginal laxity, can occur due to various factors such as aging, childbirth, and hormonal changes.
Some common symptoms of vaginal laxity may include:
- Decreased sensation during sexual intercourse
- Difficulty with vaginal muscle control, such as stress incontinence (leakage of urine during activities such as coughing, sneezing, or exercising)
- Difficulty with bowel movements
- Decreased ability to grip or hold onto a tampon
- Persistent pelvic discomfort or pain, especially during sexual intercourse
- Uterine prolapse (when the uterus drops down into the vagina or outside of the vagina)
Vaginal laxity is not a medical condition that has no serious health consequences, however, it can impact sexual satisfaction and quality of life.
ThermiVA is a noninvasive procedure for women who seek to restore vaginal youthfulness and well-being. Radiofrequency energy is used to gently heat tissue to reinvigorate collagen without discomfort or downtime.
Recovery time after a ThermiVa internal vaginal rejuvenation can vary depending on the extensiveness of the treatment and your body’s healing process. It’s common to experience some swelling, discomfort, and pain for a few days to a week or more after the procedure. Your healthcare provider will provide you with pain management instructions and the use of any medications as needed.
After an internal vaginal rejuvenation procedure, your healthcare provider will likely advise you to:
- Rest and avoid strenuous activity for a period of time
- Avoid sexual activity or vaginal penetration for a period of time
- Use sanitary pads rather than tampons for a period of time
- Avoid heavy lifting, pushing or straining for a period of time
It is important to follow your healthcare provider’s instructions for post-procedure care to ensure proper healing and to minimize the risk of complications.
Resuming Sexual Activity
The timing of when you can resume sexual activity after internal vaginal surgery can vary depending on the procedure performed and the individual’s healing process. It is important to follow your healthcare provider’s instructions and wait until you fully heal before engaging in sexual activity.
In general, it is typically recommended to wait at least 4-6 weeks after internal vaginal surgery before resuming sexual activity. This allows sufficient time for the incisions to heal and for any swelling or discomfort to resolve.
External Vaginal Rejuvenation
External vaginal rejuvenation, or vulvoplasty procedures are usually performed for various reasons, such as correcting abnormalities, deformities, or cosmetic reasons.
There are a few types of surgeries which involve the reshaping of the vulva such as:
- Labiaplasty, which involves the reshaping or reduction of the labia (the inner or outer folds of skin surrounding the vaginal opening)
- Clitoroplasty, which involves the reshaping or reduction of the clitoris
- Monsplasty, which involves the reshaping of the mons pubis (the fatty tissue over the pubic bone)
Labiaplasty involves reshaping or reducing the labia (the inner or outer folds of skin surrounding the vaginal opening). Some people may choose to undergo labiaplasty to address discomfort or irritation caused by long or uneven labia or because they feel self-conscious about the appearance of their genitalia. It may also be performed to address asymmetry or to reduce the size of the labia after childbirth or aging.
Vulvoplasty procedures are typically performed under local or general anesthesia. The surgery may cause some discomfort and pain, which can be managed with pain medication prescribed by your healthcare provider.
Post-operative care may include the following:
- Using sanitary pads for the first few days to manage any bleeding or discharge from the incision site
- Avoiding sexual activity or vaginal penetration for a period of time, usually between 4 to 6 weeks
- Wearing loose clothing to reduce friction against the incision site
- Refraining from sitting directly on the incision area for some time
- Applying cold packs or ointments to the incision site to reduce swelling and discomfort as directed
- Taking pain medication as prescribed by your surgeon
- Following up with your healthcare provider to monitor healing progress
- Keeping the incision site clean and dry
See Dr. Patel for Vaginal Rejuvenation in New Jersey
Vaginal surgeries are delicate, very personal, and can be physically and emotionally complicated. Dr. Patel is known as a specialist whose priority is to tend to each patient’s concerns, ensuring each is addressed and handled with the best of care.
While New Reflection Plastic Surgery is located in Freehold, NJ, we offer our services to residents in the surrounding Townships of Trenton, Marlboro, Manalapan, Princeton and Toms River, NJ. Patients have also traveled from all around the United States for the expertise and care of Dr. Patel and the New Reflections staff.
Please bring all questions to your free consultation, where we will go over all the details and help you to decide what’s best for you. Get started by giving our office a call at (732) 354-3792 or filling out our online contact form. We can’t wait to be your trusted partner for looking and feeling your best.
Does vaginal rejuvenation feel better during intercourse for both partners?
Vaginal tightening procedures are intended to help improve muscle tone and tightness in the vaginal canal. This certainly can lead to increased sensation and improved sexual satisfaction for some. However, this is not guaranteed and everyone’s experience can vary. It may lead to improved sexual satisfaction by both the male and female partners by increasing friction during intercourse. However, it’s important to keep in mind that everyone’s experience can vary. Additionally, be sure to wait until the entire healing process is completed before engaging in sexual activity.
Is vaginal surgery painful?
Vaginal surgeries are performed under anesthesia, so you feel nothing during the procedure. Any possible pain or discomfort post-operatively will be managed by Dr. Patel to endure you feel good.
Is a ThermiVa procedure painful?
Most patients report little to no pain during the procedure, with varying degrees of soreness after. At New Reflections, your comfort is of the utmost importance to us and we do all we can before, during and after any procedures to ensure you feel as good as possible.
Will insurance cover my vaginal rejuvenation?
Vulvoplasty is an elective surgical procedure, so it’s not likely to be covered by insurance. It’s also worth considering any surgical procedure’s potential risks and complications before deciding to undergo treatment.
Is hair removal included with a labiaplasty or monsplasty?
These procedures do not typically involve the removal of hair. If you’re concerned about the appearance of hair on your genitalia, we offer other options, including laser hair removal. The timing of when each procedure can be performed is key and should be discussed at your consultation.
Is there an age limit or restriction for vulvaplasty?
There is no specific age restriction for labiaplasty. However, it is generally recommended to wait until an individual is fully physically and emotionally mature before considering the procedure. It is worth noting that labiaplasty is typically performed for cosmetic reasons and is not medically necessary. In some cases, teenagers may experience discomfort or irritation due to the size or shape of their labia.
What if I’m unhappy with the results?
It’s essential that you have realistic expectations about the potential outcome of your procedures, which will be covered in detail at your consultation. Most people are happy with the results of their vaginal rejuvenation. Something essential to remember: it’s generally not possible to fully reverse a labiaplasty procedure. Once tissue has been removed or altered, it cannot be restored to its original state. Be sure to bring up all concerns and have your questions answered so you can have realistic expectations for your situation.